Wednesday, October 19, 2011

fall and winter projects

It's raining today but when I started this post a week ago it was unseasonably sunny and warm.

Summer used to be my favorite season and before I moved north I dreaded the cold.

But soon fall became transfigured for me; I discovered a love of fresh, chilly air. Fall became associated with soft sweater tights, scarves knitted by friends, pretty hats, football games, caramel apples, hot chocolate, cuddling, blankets, and being cozy. Opportunities to open myself up to the possibility of different kinds of warmth.

But. I still dread the short days. When the sun sets early, my heart sinks with it. The day is over too soon. I go into hibernation.

But. Maybe this is an opportunity to transfigure darkness and shorter days. To open myself up to the possibility of experiencing different kinds of light. So maybe instead of resisting and dreading and kicking my feet about the winter I will use this time to refigure the winter sun, to find new things to love in dark evenings and short days.

No comments:

Post a Comment